FURNACE UPKEEP TIPS
A routine inspection from a qualified Right Time service provider can get the most out of your home's furnace. We recommend you have one of our experts perform maintenance on your furnace at least once a year. It's always a good idea to know some basics about the furnace used in your home, but for safety reasons, it’s best to have a professional carry out inspections and adjustments on your furnace.
There are, however, a few things that homeowners can do themselves, such as changing air filters on a regular basis*. A dirty filter will cause excessive strain on your furnace, increase heating costs and reduce the life of your equipment.
We've compiled a short list of do’s and don'ts for you to consider before embarking on any furnace upkeep activities:
- Do consult the owner’s manual which is the best source of maintenance information and operating instructions.
- Don’t store items against the furnace.
- Do keep the area around the furnace clear.
- Don’t store flammable items in the furnace room.
- Do keep vents and air returns clear of obstructions like furniture, lint, dust or pet hair.
- Don't neglect changing/ cleaning the filters at least once every three months. Filters are very important for maintaining healthy air quality.
- Do shut off the electricity at the furnace switch and at the circuit breaker panel first when inspecting or changing filters or fan belts.
- Don't over-oil if your furnace motor has oiling points, just apply one or two drops of SAE 20 non-detergent oil every heating season.
- Do schedule maintenance for your furnace as early in the fall as possible, so it’s working as good as new when the cold weather sets in.
Guidelines for maintenance on various types of filters:
- Examine inexpensive fiberglass filters once a month during the heating and cooling seasons.
- Pleated filters can last up to three months.
- Wash and rinse permanent filters monthly.
- Clean electronic air-cleaner filters every other month.
- Make sure that your furnace filter has a cover over the slot, ensuring an efficient return-air system. Not having a cover poses a safety issue.
It's important to keep in mind that home heating systems that aren't properly maintained may be less than 50 percent efficient. Besides, by then it may be too late, and a new furnace can be pricey compared with an annual servicing. Get in touch with Mr. Furnace to book your service appointment today. We will help keep you warm and comfortable for the long winter ahead.
© 2018 Right Time Heating & Air Conditioning Canada All rights reserved.